To be admitted to Mount Saint Mary's Seminary, the seminarian must:
- Obtain Sponsorship of his local Church and bishop or a religious superior;
- Submit an application with the required documentation (physical exam, academic transcripts, sacramental records, etc);
- Have a favorable recommendation to a theologate, if the candidate attended college seminary;
- Complete the appropriate psychological testing and feedback and be found suitable for admission;
- Interview with the Seminary Admissions Committee and receive a favorable review; and
- If transferring from another seminary, supply previous recommendations and evaluations and comply with the norms specified by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.